Monday, February 20, 2012

Travel Wallet

Before my trip to WDW I needed to make at least one more thing!  I wanted a little travel wallet for my Mickey Mouse bag while visiting the parks.   
I started by making a template with the seam allowance accounted for.   Template was 9" by 4 1/2."  I'd say that it worked out perfectly!  I use whatever paper is in my recycle pile.  A much better use of paper than what's printed on it more than half of the time.
Like many of my projects lately I ventured into my scrap box and found some beautiful fabrics.  I cut them all 1 1/4 by 4 1/2.  I cut too many for each to have a 1/4 seam on each side so I varied the sizes to create a slightly uneven pattern.  I seem to be drawn to using all the colors of the rainbow these days.
Travel wallet
After all the pieces were sewn together I had a bright idea.  What about an outside pocket for the card I will use the most!  Brilliant!  I had some extra fabric because of all the extra seams so I could create a pocket.  I  took the seam out between the two pieces and turned each side to create the pocket.  And like always I used teal as my inside.
Travel wallet
I sewed the pieces together and turned them.  After adding a stitch around the entire piece I folded over the pocket and sewed them again.
It worked out perfectly!  I'm not quite sure how that happened but it did! 
I'm super happy with the results.  This little wallet will be perfect for my travels.  After my trip I plan to use it for my frequent buyer cards.  Now off to Florida for an adventure!

- Bryn

No comments:

Post a Comment