Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Christmas Crane Garland

So over the years I have made thousands of paper cranes.  I've made probably 15,000 and I don't think that it much if at all of an exaggeration.  I made most of them in high school and since them they have been sitting in tins in our basement.  And this year I had a couple ideas of what to do with them.
Again please forgive me for the bad photos.  I almost always work on/finish my projects at night and need a flash to take photos.
I started with an idea.  What about using my Starburst cranes to make garland for my Christmas tree.  I started pulling the colors out that I wanted and started to notice it was going to be a very difficult and long process unless I divided up my entire stash.
Like many of my other projects I got in a bit too deep!  I had so many different red ones that were almost impossible to tell apart.
 I took about 2 1/2 hours to divide up all of the cranes.  It was worth it.  So much simpler to find all the different colors!
Once separated I split into small colored piles.  I used 6-10 of each color.  I had 18 different colors.  Who even knew that there were even 18 different flavors of Starburst!  
From there I used a needle and hand quilting thread to string them together.
 I'm very happy with the result.  It adds a lot of extra color to my Christmas tree.  And I hope that those who receive them for Christmas gifts like them too.
So all that time in class during high school that I was making these instead of holding my complete attention was well worth my effort.  It only took me about 10 years to figure out what to do with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment