Friday, July 15, 2011

A project that needed finishing a long time ago

This quilt is the first big quilt I ever made.  I found the pattern at Quilters Cache.  It is called Irish Plaid.  The pattern is beautiful and complicated.  The pieces cross each other and create diamonds within diamonds.
I incorporated my favorite color of teal.  I love this teal fabric which has turtles in it.  It is a Hoffman Batik that they no longer make.  I had to find 3 different retailers for this fabric because I kept needing more and they had retired it by the time I needed more!
Irish Plaid quilt
I liked black as a base color.  These days I lean more towards white.  I often use muslin as a color or base.  I like the texture in the fabric, it is never just a flat piece of fabric.
I have been fortunate enough to visit Hawaii a couple of times and I am on the lookout for turtles on my visit.
Irish Plaid quilt
My mom always hand quilted her quilts or tied them off.  This was a pattern that seemed to need hand quilting.  I had never done hand quilting before and needless to say it has taken about 6 years to finish this poor quilt off!
Irish Plaid quilt
When I opened it up I was shocked on how little there was left to do.  Only about 4 embroidery hoops worth of quilting left on it!  Last night I knocked out most the quilting that was left.  A bit more left to do today and turning the edges and then it is finally done!
Irish Plaid quilt
I starting making this quilt in 2005.  I was a different person back then and so were my skills.  How far I have come in my skills in 6 years.
Irish Plaid quilt
The seams, not so great!  In fact hey are awful! Those mistakes in the quilt that probably only I would notice.
Hopefully I will be finish this quilt today.  Off to Joanns to buy more supplies for millions of new projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment