Monday, May 28, 2012

From book to coaster

It's time for another craft made out of books!  I ran across a picture of coasters that were made out of book pages and I knew it was something that I needed to try. 
I started experimenting with page sizes to create at 4 inch by 4 inch coaster.  I ended up cutting each page 4 inches by 3 inches.  2 inches was too thin and 4 inches was too thick.  I used a bamboo skewer to roll each piece.
 When I had rolled about 2 inches of paper onto the skewer I spread glue on the remaining paper with a glue stick.  Another flashback to childhood, using a glue stick.
 Continue rolling you paper until it fits snugly on the skewer.  I found that putting a healthy amount of pressure once it rolled up helps keeps the ends together.  I might try using rubber cement next time.  The glue sometime came apart.  
After sliding the piece off the skewer I put two rolls of paper together with bobby pins.  I painted on Mod Podge on the top once I had selected the best part of the roll to face the top of the coaster.
 I only found 10 bobby pins in the house so this part of the project took a long time.  If you have more bobby pins you might be able to glue it all together at the same time.
 Finally it's all together.  I did an extra coat of Mod Podge on the top because of the liquid that could get on them.  Once the top was dry I flipped it over and did a layer of Modge Podge on the back.
 Ta Da!  4 super cool, upcycled, unique book coasters.
Harry Potter pages coasters
 With my projects so far I've made it though about 1/4 of my book.  So many more project ideas are just waiting to move from my mind into reality.

2 comments:

  1. This is so neat! I love the look. What book did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last Harry Potter book. It always feels strange tearing apart a book but it was worth it for the results!

      Delete