Friday, February 1, 2013

Day 15 The Last Day of the Tour

I can't believe that the first two weeks are already over.  In some ways it seemed to go by really fast and it other ways things seem like a really long time ago.  Our last day took us from Wales back into England and stopping in Bath and Stonehenge on the way back to London.  Compared to other days there was a bit less driving and more time for wondering.
Our first stop of the day was in Bath.  The home of Jane Austin and, more famously, the Roman Baths.  
I decided that £12.25 was worth the investment to head inside to take a step back in history.  The museum was really well done.  They had many artifacts that have been found over the years of excavation.  They have found 12,500 coins, worship alters, and my favorite, curses.

People threw in metal plates that had curses written on them and where throw into the baths to the goddess who would carry them out.  Some of them were so trivial like stolen gloves, but they still cursed them to suffer for it.  Another cool thing was the audio guide had an option to listen to commentary by Bill Bryson.  His commentary was just as informative and far more entertaining than the traditional one. 
I happened to be around when they were starting a free guided tour so I stuck around the spot until the guide showed up.  Well it ended up that no one wanted a free tour so I got my own personal tour.  He explained the floor heating system, the temperatures of the various pools and who and when the various areas were built by.  Plus every photo spot he would offer to take my picture for me.  Having personalized service and photographer wasn't to shabby.  About 20 minutes into the tour one of my bus mates joined up.  Our guide took us to the pool that water comes directly up from the well beneath.  The springs are still active today almost 2000 years after it was first used by the Romans.
You can still see the water heat rising and bubbling at the top.  Our guide gave us pennies to throw into the pool so that maybe they would be found again or perhaps lost to the depths of the earth.  And of course we made a wish.  The final stop of the tour was at a drinking fountain.  If you dare you can drink the water from the springs in Bath.  Sold!  Hopefully it cures all my ailments.  Some writers said that if the water from Bath can't cure you than nothing can. 
I could have spent about another hour inside the Roman baths and a day or two inside the town.  There is Jane Austin museum (even though she supposedly hated Bath), a bridge that has shops along both sides (only one of three in Europe), old churches and much more.

On the way out of Bath we had to find lunch to go to get to the bus on time.  Our regular tour guide Tim spoke about Sally Lunn buns and offered to take any by the check them out.  No one did but Laura and I found it on accident.  They are a simple bread bun except for the size.They are huge.  I think about 8 inches across by 5 inches tall.  I got a black currant jam, kind of between black berry and raspberry in taste and used frequently in teas, and dipped the bread in it.  Not to shabby but defiantly not for just one.

Our next stop was at Stonehenge.  You can see it driving in but it is worth the money to get closer to it and listen to the audio guide.  There are barriers around the stones so you are not able to walk through them but you are able to walk completely around them.
 We have been told that they still don't truly know why they are there which is still the case.  But the various stories still prevail   The stories were either a deal with the devil, witchcraft or the aid of Merlin.  What I didn't know was the stones were rebuilt three times.  The first time was before the common myth of pagan witches.  They believe that it was primarily used as a time piece for the summer and winter solstices and the months of the year.

Another interesting fact is about the slaughter stone.  It is named that because when it rains, which it does often in England, it turns red, not because it was used as a sacrificial alter.  The difficult thing about visiting Stonehenge is getting a picture without anyone else in it.  There were tons of people there so I would wait until they disappeared behind a stone and hope that no one else would come out behind another. 
After exploring ancient history it was time to board the bus for he last time to London.  This was the most noticeably chatty everyone was on the bus.  Usually most everyone kept to themselves reading, listening to music or sleeping but at that moment everyone was saying the last goodbyes.  And one final time listening to the wake up song of Galway girl.  Every time we reached a location where we would depart the bus one came on loudly over the bus speakers to tell everyone it was time to get themselves together to get off the bus.  By the end of the trip everyone would sing it whenever it came on. Very catchy Galway Girl is and it was one of the cities that we visited.
We arrived at the hotel where we got picked up from around 4:30.  I found out that two other girls from the tour had booked the same hotel so after saying a final goodbye to almost everyone off we went.  I was going to look up directions the night before but the hotel charged for Internet so I didn't get a chance.  One of the girls phone was just about out of battery so we looked at it quickly and went off.  To the wrong hotel.  They had put in the location from the hotel that they started the London trip from.  Oops.  Well we eventually found the place after I popped into a shop for directions.

Once we got our hotel I was told that they were having some problems in some of the single rooms.  They had rebooked me at another hotel.  Good thing it was only 5 minutes away, closer to a Underground station and they included breakfast for me to make up for the move.  I checked in and headed down into the basement where my room was.
Most of the girls from the tour had agreed upon meeting around an underground station for a final supper of sorts.  Since I had gotten turned wound getting to the hotel I once again got a little lost on my way to the station.  But I knew approximately where I was since I was around an area I had been in before.  I walked by he restaurant that we ended up eating at.  Once we got back to the pub we all ordered at the bar.  I had my first burger of the trip with their fake bacon and cheddar cheese.  I also enjoyed a pint of cider in side the British pub, I cant do beer so close enough.  We had a great time visiting with our fellow travelers took some final pictures and the final goodbyes.  
I took the underground back to my "home " station and walked back with two other girls that were staying at a hostel a couple blocks down from me.  Another goodbye and off to my room to figure out the plans for my first solo day in London.


No comments:

Post a Comment