Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Day 13 A Ferry to find my name

We left Dublin early to catch the ferry back across the sea to Whales.  The ferry ride was not the smoothest due to the winds.  Whenever I got up to walk around it probably looked like I was drunk.
I assure you that my Irish Coffees had worn off by this morning.  The ferry was not as fancy as the last one when we went over to Belfast.  It also seemed like there were far fewer passengers on board as well.  Put the pretty boats on the more traveled routes.  Makes sense.  Three hours later we arrived in my 5th country of the trip.  And still only one stamp in my passport!

Our drive to Llangollen was truly gesticulate.  I never knew that it was so stunning.  I had heard it was pretty but it was even more than that.  Since we were in Wales, the land of my name I kept trying to get a picture of one of the signs.  I saw 5 different places with Bryn in their title.  Super awesome.
Wales
We took a little break in the town with the longest name ever.  I would attempt to spell it right but its crazy long, 56 characters long. It totally an old people on tour tourist trap with one big store and nothing much else.  We had a quick lunch at a pub and back on the bus we went.
Wales
 We arrived at Llangollen around 4pm.  We were supposed to get in earlier but because of the ferry being a bit slower due to the winds.  Most of the local attractions were already shut down for the day.  There are horse drawn boats, boats for hire and again more horse drawn carriages.  

 I decided to go for another hike. It seems like when i war my dress slacks it means hiking.  I climbed up towards another castle ruin at the top of Dee Valley.  That's right, Dee Valley.  I walked from the bottom of town all the way up.  I used surface streets on the way up until that base of the hill area.  
Wales
I talked to a very nice woman from the Canada.  She had lived in the England for 11 years and never been to Wales.  That's like never visiting St Louis from KC. 
Wales
  I caught my breath while I talked to her for the super steep hike.  It took me about 25 minutes to reach the summit.  The castle at the top was in ruins.  Only a few walls and archways are still remaining.  Otherwise it was an open green space.  
Wales
 I ended up talking to another very nice person from Ireland and playing ball with his dog while I caught my breath again after the hike.  I had a very nice time talking with him and enjoy the views.  I ended up staying at the summit for about an hour.  The views were spectacular.  I could see the city below, the aquaduct from afar, and valleys full of sheep.  I hope some of my pictures turn out from the top.  Much nicer than shopping around town and taking a nap.
Wales
 Our whole group of 21 plus our guide and driver went to the Corn Mill restaurant.  The restaurant used to actually be mill.   The water wheel was still there with the water flowing. We ended up coming in two big groups.  I got a hard cider which is very popular in the UK. Our food took over an hour to get.  Mine came 15 minutes after everyone else's in the group.  I order an starter of 3 scallops.  1 hour 15 minutes for 3 scallops.  They should have at least given me a free drink for that wait. At least it was a cool looking restaurant right along the riverside.
Wales
The pictures I took in Llangollen were some of my favorites from the entire trip.  

No comments:

Post a Comment