Saturday, October 8, 2011

Creating Rapunzel

I have wanted to make my own Halloween costume for the last couple of years.  This year my craftiness gene has kicked in at the right time.  This year is the year for Rapunzel.
I have been buying fabric for a couple of months.  I still wish I had other choices of purple with pattern in them but beggars can't be choosers.
Rapunzel cosplay
I have not made clothes in a very long time.  I first made the bodice from muslin to see if the shape was right.  The muslin bodice looked pretty good so I made the real one.  I reenforced it with some interfacing but it was a little too stiff.  I ended up keeping the interfacing on the back but took it out of the front.
Rapunzel cosplay
The basic look
Quite a few steps later - putting in the zipper, finishing the top seam with lace, measuring eyelet holes and placing them, and weaving the pink string.  Lots of stuff!
Rapunzel cosplay
 I moved onto the skirt.  I decided to try and make it without a pattern.  I used a skirt that I already had that fit me really well and had the shape that I wanted for Rapunzel.  I had to use two different purples to create the top and bottom layers of the skirt.
Rapunzel cosplay
I call it - The Art of Cutting
All the pieces together.  The skirt on the left, bodice in the middle and my last little project on the right.
Rapunzel cosplay
The almost finished product!  Looks pretty good for not making clothes in a really, really, really long time!
I do have quite a few things lift to actually finish it.  
  • The bottom seam on the bodice
  • The top and bottom seam on the skirt
  • A redo on the opening on the skirt - it's too big for my taste
  • Adding sleeves to the bodice
  • Painting flowers on the skirt
  • And my final project - Flynn's satchel for my Trick or Treat bag!

1 comment:

  1. WOW! I love it! You are such an inspiration. I think I am going to dust off my sewing machine and start making the items I have wanted to for my grandbabies. Thanks Bryn for sharing. =)

    ReplyDelete