Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Day 22 A trip to downtown Paris

I spent the whole day walking around with my cousin Alice.  We started the eating breakfast and having my first cafe au lait for the day.  Our first mission for the weekend was the weekend market a couple blocks over.  We got there and she realized that she had left her debit card at home so we headed back.  After a trip back to the houes and a stop at the ATM we made it to the market to finally start shopping.  It was primarily a fresh food market.  They had tons of produce, meat markets, fish markets and of course it being France, there were cheese booths.  I have never seen anything really like it in the US.  We walked all around picking up some little green plums, carrots, fresh whole shrimp, two different kinds of cheeses, some raw chicken, and a rotesserie chicken. 

 Of course it was not a day in Paris without buying a baguette.  

And some pastries of course.  
We headed back with a cartful of items back go the apartment while Alice started making a very large lunch.  She pealed all the shrimp, sliced about 6 of the carrots, cut apart the rotesseie chicken and with the baguette called it lunch.  That is one thing that I can saw is accurate about the French, there is always a baguette in the kitchen.  She made quite a meal.  The boys, Jahed, and I ate too much, so much so that we all needed about an hour to be motivated to move.
Finally after everything settled Alice and I headed onto the metro into central Paris for my first visit into the city center.  We popped out in an area of the city that I would not have thought to venture into.  Not that it wouldn't appeal to me but I wouldn't even know it was there.  It was the home to many shops of the vintage, craft, and kitschy variety.  My cousin said she spent a lot of time in this area of the city when she was in college.  It looked like similar shops to my college town too.  From the shopping district we walked through the Jewish District.  I suppose it makes sense that it's there but I never thought that there would be a Jewish District in Paris.

Just around the corner was the center of Paris.  And of course in the center of Paris there are many treats all around.  We walked into a cookie shop.  Each cookie was so heavy, dense and delicious.  I bought a tin full for my dad and heading to the next place.

The other sweet shop we found twice and stopped in later was Laudree.  The most delicious looking macroons.  Since it was still the start of the day we didn't sample any, as they are a bit expensive.  But that didn't stop me from trying one the day and buying some to take home with me.
From there we walked a off the original path that Alice had set out.  So we walked towards the Hall of Justice and into the heart of Paris.

 I don't think I can ever get over the splendor of these buildings.  And then there was Nortre Dame.  York Minister, Westminster Abbey to Notre Dame they are amazing buildings that I got to experience on my trip.  

The shape from the outside looked very similar to Westminster Abbey in London.  My guess is that they were built around the same time.  The line outside was insane.  Lots of Asian tourists again just like Versailles.  If we had planned on going that way we probably would have bought tickets beforehand.  That is a big thing I learned about traveling internationally.  Buy tickets online before you go, it might save you money, but it will defiantly save you time!  

There were tons of shops all around the Notre Dame.  Lots of the same stuff in every shop.  And of course a Quasimodo cafe next to Notre Dame too.

 I was set on a mission to find my mom a Tour de France something.  Since the race was not on when I was there it was a little bit more difficult than I suspected.  After walking into a few shops we managed to find a mug in a couple of the shops.  Not surprisingly the further away from Notre Dame the cheaper the items were.  Even though they were the same items!  Plus Alice bartered them down a bit to get me a better deal.
Since we had veered off our original plan we hailed a pedi-cab as my cousin had never hired one.  It's good to be a tourist in your own city.  I wish I took that advice more often!  We went around with our driver who spoke pretty good English.  He talked mostly in French with Alice but asked me a couple translation questions since Alice spoke both English and French but wanted a direct translation from me.  We probably didn't even need to pay him because we helped him out with his business!  If only.

Anyways we made our way back onto our route.  We walked, little did I know we were in the rich section the city.  Super rich.  I have never seen stores as fancy as these.  I'm sure that each dress would probably cost upwards of 2,000 Euros easy.  We did step into a discount store and their items were still 300 Euros.  Better than otherwise but still a bit out of my price range.  Also out of my price range were the hotels in the area.  We hopped into a couple of the for the bathrooms.  Why pay for a bathroom on the street when you can use the hotel!  I didn't pay for a bathroom in all of Europe.  

Of course there were amazing monuments all around the city.  Round the corner find a statue that has been there for hundreds of years.  I'm sure that if you are used to seeing it on a daily basis it doesn't seem as impressive but coming from the US or a younger city.

Just around the corner were the foreign Ambassadors residences.  I snapped a picture because the buildings were so beautiful and very much what you would think that you would find in Paris.  And then found out that I shouldn't have taken a photo when I was yelled at.  Oops!

We continued walking around.  We stopped in a couple shops looking for a birthday present for a one of the boys friend's birthday party.  The Louvre book store had nothing that quite fit for a boys birthday party but almost every coffee table book you could find.  I was very excited to head there the next day.  Can you visit Paris for the first time and not visit the Louvre   I don't think so.

We walked up toward the Arch de Triomph we walked next to a couple art museums.  Alice said that the larger of the two was beautiful on the inside.  The roof looked like a giant greenhouse.  If only it was open!

And since we were close by we walked onto the Champs Elysees.  Which we were really already on but now we had made it to the shopping district.

At the bottom of the block was the Disney Store!  I couldn't help myself but to go in.  Again I was a little disappointed.  There was nothing there that I hadn't seen in the US.  Sadness.  Oh well.  
 Once we got back to the apartment we gathered the family together and ate dinner.  Some Italian food with Italian wine in Paris.  Nothing to complain about!  It certainly strange to be finishing dinner around 10pm but that is what the day brought.
 On our way back to the apartment we took a detour to a bridge over the river Seine.
 Every year at the beginning of the new school year and the end of summer they have a huge fireworks display.  My family had lived in their apartment for 11 years and had never ventured out to the bridge 500 meters away to watch the fireworks and the reflection the River Seine.  It's always good to have someone come to change the pace of life.
 Not a bad way to end the day in Paris.  Until my next and last day in Paris and the last day of my European Adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment