Monday, March 4, 2013

Washing your fabrics for quilting

So over the years I've read so many different blog posts and articles about washing your fabric.  It feels better.  It will wash better in the future.  It's just better!  So a little over a year ago now I decided to wash my  entire fabric collection.  Wow, that a quite a job.  It took me about 3 1/2 days of washing and ironing.  
 I discovered from my many days practice that it is best to half dry the fabric.  The more damp it is the easier it is iron.  But not straight out of the washer either.  I found on my dryer that a small load, less than 10 yards of fabric, takes about 10 minutes drying time.
Once they come out the dryer they are usually in a tangled mess.  I've been trying to buy cotton fabric only which defiantly sheds more than polyester.  I trim the sides of the fabric as I go
And end up with a pile that looks a bit like this!   
 And my fabric really is nicer.

No comments:

Post a Comment