Saturday, September 17, 2011

Thumbtack Pumpkins and other things

I posted on my blog a week or so ago about these amazing looking thumbtack pumpkins.  I found them exploring craft blogs.  I found them here on Madigan Made.

My journey began at the 99 cent store where they had no thumbtacks.  JoAnns, no thumbtacks.  Micheal's, fancy scrapbook thumbtacks, but no brass thumbtacks.  The Dollar Tree, no thumbtacks.  Home Depot, no thumbtacks.  Staples, nickel but no brass thumbtacks.  Another Dollar Tree - SCORE - 30 boxes of thumbtacks.  I bought 8 packs that had 300 each.
While I was at Michaels I bought 3 pumpkins.  One large and two smaller ones.
thumbtack pumpkins
Before the madness
I left the underside of the pumpkin as it was.  I like the peaking through of the orange.

thumbtack pumpkins
Three quarters of the way done!
900 Thumbtacks down, only 300 to go!
A finished amazing pumpkin
Now I have two more little pumpkins to do but I need to give my fingers a rest!  Totally worth killing my thumb, it looks amazing!  But there is still time in the night.  Onto another project!
Halloween is coming up fast and it is already in Disneyland.
My mom is coming next month and we are going to attend Mickey's Halloween Party.
Rapunzel cosplay
I love Rapunzel so I have decided to tackle making my own costume.  The last time I made clothes, that was about 15 years ago.  I was in elementary school!
Rapunzel cosplay
I started with a problem.  I bought the wrong size of pattern!  I trimmed it down to about the size that I am.  I actually did a really good job, amazing.
Rapunzel cosplay
To make sure that I didn't mess up I made it in muslin first.  Looks pretty good actually
Rapunzel cosplay
 I cut out the actual fabric and ironed on some interfacing to stiffen up the fabric.  Might be a bit too stiff but I can work on the that.  Now to add a zipper, cording, grommets, lace, trim and details.  I've got a way to go!  Not to mention a skirt too!  To another crafting day.

1 comment: